History

There has been a rugby club in the Kumeu district since the early 1900’s playing in the Kaipara Sub Union.  After World War II there was a rejuvenation of rugby and teams were fielded from the communities of Kumeu, Riverhead, Whenuapai and Hobsonville in the Kaipara competitions.

As transport and communication improved in the late 1950’s, support for the Kaipara Sub Union declined as players headed off to Auckland clubs to play in the city competitions.  In the early 1960’s the Kaipara Sub Union was dissolved and the several clubs joined the Auckland competitions direct or amalgamated to form new clubs.



Western United RFC was formed in 1963 with the amalgamation of the old Kumeu, Riverhead, Whenuapai, Hobsonville and Helensville clubs and played in the Auckland second division.  The club claimed Riverhead War Memorial Park as its headquarters and built the existing clubrooms in 1976.

In 1998 the club changed its name to Kumeu Rugby Football and Sports Club to better reflect the community from which it draws its player strength.